Regional Command East, in full partnership with the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and joint, interagency, intergovernmental, and multinational organizations (JIIM), conducts security force assistance to enable the Afghan National Security Forces to protect the Afghan people; neutralize insurgent networks; and deny safe havens for transnational terrorists; and, concurrently support GIRoA institutions as they continue to develop legitimate, credible, and enduring governance and sustainable economic growth.
RC-East includes the provinces of Bamyan, Ghazni, Kapisa, Khost, Kunar, Laghman, Logar, Nangarhar, Nuristan, Paktika, Paktiya, Panjshayr, Parwan and Wardak. It covers 46,000 square miles, approximately the size of Virginia, and shares a portion of the border with Pakistan. Currently, more than 19,000 Coalition Forces and 88,000 ANSF are operating in the command’s area of responsibility.
U.S., Poland, Czech Republic, UK, Jordan, New Zealand, Korea, Ukraine, Canada
• 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division - Task Force Warrior, conducts security-force assistance in southern Ghazni in order to enable Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) ability to conduct counter-insurgency operations.
• 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division - Task Force Commando, Security Forces Assistance Brigade, advises, assists and enables Afghan National Security Force counterparts to conduct security operations in order to neutralize operationally significant insurgent networks and allow GIRoA institutions to safely operate in Paktika, while simultaneously conducting deliberate redeployment operations to close / transfer all Combat Outposts and Forward Operating Bases in Paktika.
• 4th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division - Task Force Vanguard conducts Security Force Assistance in AO Vanguard to hold the capability and capacity of ANSF in order to facilitate transition of area of responsibility to GIRoA.
• 10th Combat Aviation Brigade - The 10th CAB provides multi functional aviation support to RC (E) and RC (N) in support of Operation Enduring Freedom to facilitate unified land operations intended to secure the population, neutralize the insurgency and increase ANSF capabilities.
• TF White Eagle - Task Force White Eagle conducts counterinsurgency operations and unified actions focusing on key terrain districts in Ghazni in order to increase security, development, local governance competency and legitimacy; while neutralizing the insurgency.
• 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) - Supports the GIRoA and the ANSF through combined operations to secure the population and disrupt the INS forces in AO Currahee, in order to improve the conditions for GIRoA's sub-national governance, increase the ANSF's capabilities and effectiveness, and improve the security and quality of life for the Afghan people in Khost and Paktya.
• 4th Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division - Awaiting mission statement
• 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division - 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, Task Force Black Jack, provides flexibility to the forces commander by delivering the combat power of a full combined arms team. Black Jack, deployed as the Theater Assistance Force, conducts combat operations in CJOA-A to enable ISAF's retrograde and redeployment.
Provincial Reconstruction Teams
- Lead Nation: Poland
- Supporting Nation: U.S. (Separate PRTs, but Poland is lead PRT)
*Information current as of 28 Aug 2013