ISAF Regional Command North in coordination with the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan support coordination and collaboration activities to train and advise elements of the Afghan National Security Forces in the region, with the goal to promote a prosperous economy, social and cultural development in key terrain districts, neutralize the insurgency through a increasingly capabilities ANSF.
Area of Responsibility
RC-North includes nine provinces: Badakhshan, Baghlan, Balkh, Faryab, Jowzjan, Kunduz, Samangan, Sar-e Pul and Takhar and shares borders with Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Pakistan and China. RC-North spans an area of 62,607 sq. miles, slightly smaller than the state of Washington with a population of an estimated 6.7 million people.
NATO Nations: Albania, Belgium, Croatia, Germany, Hungary, Latvia, Netherlands, Norway, U.S., Turkey.
Non- NATO Nations: Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Finland, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Mongolia, Montenegro and Sweden.
Major Units Assigned
• Partnering and Advising Task Group Mazar-e Sharif
• Germany’s Northern Reaction Unit
• Germany Expeditionary Air Wing Mazar-e Sharif
• Swedish Air Wing
• Nordic Baltic Transition Support Unit
• 6-4 Calvary Reconnaissance Squadron 3rd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division -Fort Knox, Kentucky
• 524th Combat Service Support Battalion - Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
• Task Force Reaper – 1-135th Attack Reconnaissance Battalion - Missouri National Guard
• Task Force Warhorse - 122nd Engineer Battalion - South Carolina National Guard
• Task Force Paladin - comprised of elements of the U.S. Army’s 71st Ordnance Group out of Fort Carson, Colorado and the 79th Ordnance Battalion (EOD), Fort Hood, Texas
• 1103rd Military Police Detachment – Kentucky National Guard
Provincial Reconstruction Teams
• PRT Jowzjan
-Lead Nation: Turkey
Facebook | DVIDS
RC-North HQ Public Affairs Office
FOR MEDIA QUERIES ONLY
Nordic Baltic Transition Support Unit
*Information accurate as of 26 October 2013